Erik ten Hag achieved his greatest win as Manchester United’s manager at Old Trafford on Saturday, January 24, when his team defeated Manchester City following a valiant comeback, despite contentious circumstances.

With the victory, Manchester United entered the title race discussion, closing the gap to one point between them and second placed Manchester City and six points behind Arsenal the current league leaders.

Jack Grealish gave the reigning champions the lead before Bruno Fernandes tied the score for the home team, in the 75 minute of the Premier League encounter.

Millions of fans have however, expressed their dissatisfaction over the match officials’ decision to have allowed Fernandes’ goal to stand. They claimed that some officials do not understand the laws of the game.

Meanwhile, the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, (PGMOL), has now explained why Bruno Fernandes’ goal against Manchester City was allowed to stand.

PGMOL is responsible for referees in the English professional game.

And according to NBC, “PGMOL have gotten back to us and have said no touch on the ball, no impact on the defender, and therefore they [VAR] could find no reason for a clear and obvious error.

“According to the PGMOL, they say [Rashford] did not impact the defender and he did not touch the ball and therefore Rashford was OK to do what he did and allow Fernandes to come onto the ball and score.”

[Rashford] did not impact the defender and he did not touch the ball


Speaking after the game, Fernandes was asked why the goal stood and he told BT Sport: “Because I was facing the goal and Marcus probably saw I was in a better position. I didn’t know if any of us were in an offside position or not but it doesn’t have any influence because there was no one closer to him.

“It doesn’t make any influence on the team that has to defend, it is what it is, it’s a goal and at the end of the day and we are relieved for that.”

Initially, the goal was ruled offside by the linesman, with the England international clearly ahead of City’s defenders. However, after a brief consultation, Stuart Atwell believed the strike was legitimate. Michael Oliver, who was in the VAR booth, also deemed it okay.

The result means United move just one point behind City. As for Pep Guardiola’s side, they remain five points behind Arsenal in first, with the north London outfit having an extra game in hand to extend their gap at the top. However, that clash is against Tottenham on Sunday and Mikel Arteta will now be hoping his team can extend their lead at the top of the league to eight points with a win.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here